Saturday 14 March 2009

The Romantic Period: Favourite Music

Swan Lake, by Tchaikovsky. My mother used to play classic music in the house when we were little- she would teach us all of the composers and the songs. We grew to love the crescendos of Vivaldi's four seasons- I have to crank the volume to this day in Winter. My favourite was Swan Lake. When I started school, we would have school assembly. Every day the teacher would play a piece and ask if anyone knew what it was. One week he played this and I raised my hand and told him- he was shocked that I knew.
I wanted to be a ballerina. I used to dance around the house to this piece. Tchaikovsky creates raw emotion in his use of crescendos and diminuendos. It is a powerful, sad piece that invites so many emotions.

The man himself, Tchaikovsky.

No comments:

Post a Comment